WhiteSam's comment: I really wanted to edit it where he said that Chardonnay had a "buttery" flavor because that just didn't sound right to me... I've drunk Chardonnay and, sadly, also butter (on a bet) -- and the tastes were wholly dissimilar.
- Chardonnay: Medium-bodied. Buttery flavor with smooth finish.
- Sauvignon Blanc: Light-bodied. Crisp and fruity.
- Riesling: Light- to medium-bodied. Starts sweet, finishes dry.
- Pinot Grigio: Light-bodied. Crisp and slightly bitter.
- Pinot Noir: Medium-bodied. Earthy and smooth.
- Merlot: Medium- to heavy-bodied. Bitter and acidic.
- Cabernet Sauvignon: Full-bodied. Deep with hints of chocolate.
- Syrah/Shiraz: Heavy-bodied. Dark and fruity.